Click HERE to schedule an advising appointment.
To learn more about College of Fine Arts Advisors, click HERE or call 801-581-8146.
The mission of the art teaching major is to:
- Educate teacher candidates with innovative models for teaching art education that bridge theoretical knowledge, creative expression and pedagogical practices
- Prepare critical teachers of art education who value cultural difference, civic participation and the role of the arts in school and community settings;
- Prepare teacher candidates for certification in the state of Utah;
- Give students a strong understanding of the role the arts play in education and society
- Develop a student’s proficiency in art production, aesthetics, art criticism and art history
The curriculum is designed to give students the opportunity to explore the purposes, practices and possibilities for art education. The Faculty fosters a climate of critical inquiry, experiential education, teaching opportunities, and experimentation with multiple forms of instruction.
Possible Areas of Specialization:
- Painting & Drawing
- Photography/Digital Imaging
- Digital Intermedia
- Secondary Education Licensure
- Credit hour requirement for this major: 75-83 credits. Additional hours are required for licensure, but majoring in Art Teaching does not require that students pursue licensure. If you are interested in pursing licensure, please speak with an advisor.
- The entry-level courses for Art are: ART 2200, 2250, 2300, 2350 & 2400.
Are you transferring from another Utah college or University?
Learn about transferring your credits into this major in the Getting Ready Transfer Guides.