Because you are preparing for a humanitarian profession, it is important to have volunteer learning experiences which demonstrate a commitment to service to others. It is suggested that this be ongoing throughout your college years prior to application for admission.
- Animal Volunteer
- Nuzzles & Co. (Formerly Friends of Animals Utah)
- Camp Kostopulos
- CFHI Health Education Program Child Family Health International (CFHI) runs 20+ Global Health Education Programs
in 7 countries, placing students in clinics and public health facilities alongside
local health professionals. CFHI's 4-16 week experiences immerse students in global
health realities in Latin America, Africa, and India. CFHI is an NGO recognized by
the United Nations.
- CFHI has 20+ programs in 7 countries (Argentina, Bolivia, Ecuador, India, Mexico, South Africa, Uganda) -We’ve sent 8,000+ participants on our programs to date
- If the site has listings for each of our programs, make sure they are all there (except for the Davis one) since we have added new programs since last year
- CFHI offers scholarship funding for our programs
- 50% or more of CFHI program fees go to support underserved communities abroad
- Eligibility: Online application. You must be 20 or over with an interest in health or medicine. This program is NOT affiliated with the University of Utah.
- Student PIRG Internship Student PIRG's mission statement says "Together, we can make things happen," and it looks as though they're making a difference. Check out their website to find out more about this dynamic group. This program is NOT affiliated with the University of Utah.
- The Family Support Center A local child abuse prevention organization, with numerous programs focused on strengthening families and communication. They offer parenting classes, therapy, crisis nurseries, daycare programs, and so much more. Check out the opportunities on their website where your skills might fit their needs, all to support preventing child abuse. This program is NOT affiliated with the University of Utah.
- Junior League of Salt Lake Has various volunteer opportunities.
- Volunteer at LGBT Resource Center Please contact with your hours and the type of volunteering you would like to do. You can help in the office (we are open from 8-5 MWTHF and 8-6 on Tuesdays), Safe Zone trainings, speaking on panels, tabling, mentoring, or planning events. Volunteers are especially needed for office hours. Union Rm 409, 801-587-7973
- Volunteer w/ Agua Muisne A non-profit organization dedicated to providing rural Ecuadorian communities with sustainable and safe water solutions. Agua Muisne has been working in Ecuador researching water conditions, educating the local population about the health risks of contaminated water, and constructing water treatment systems. In the summer of 2007, we constructed our first water treatment system in the southwestern county of Muisne, which has since been providing water for 200 families a day. We are continuing to build water treatment systems in rural towns and villages where we are the sole provider of safe drinking water for thousands of people.
- Unite For Sight
- The Road Home Support shelter for overcoming homelessness. 210 South Rio Grande Street, 801-359-4142
- Volunteers of America 511 West 200 South, Suite 160, Salt Lake, 801-363-9414
- Salt Lake County Aging Service (801) 468-2454. 2001S State St. #S1500. Assisting seniors with transportation, shopping, activities, etc.
- Planned Parenthood Administration 654 South. 900 East., 801-532-1586
- Utah AIDS Foundation 1408 South 1100 East, 487-2323.
- Rape Crisis Center 2035 South. 1300 East., 467-7282. Apply for training program (36-40 hours required). Must commit 20 hours per month as volunteer.
- Special Olympics 4 Triad Center, Suite 105, 363-1111. Help with organizing games and work with Special Olympics athletes.
- American Lung Association 1930 So. 1100 East, Salt Lake City, 484-4456. Public education programs, Children's Asthma Camp.
- American Cancer Society 941 East 3300 South, 483-1500. Public education, service and rehabilitation help for cancer patients.
- Bennion Community Service Center 101 Union, 581-4811. Projects organized by students in a variety of community outreach areas. Service Learning Scholar distinction can also be earned.