|CLEP Credit & Correspondence Study||Not acceptable as part of the predental curriculum.|
|AP Credits||Dental schools take AP credits but it is recommended to take coursework beyond introductory classes waived by AP.|
|Repeats||>Repeats are counted in your AADSAS GPA<|
|2 year colleges credits||Many schools limit credits taken at 2 year colleges to 60.|
|Withdrawals||W’s should normally be used only for non-academic emergencies.|
Preprofessional Science Course Guide 1
990 (0) Pre-Algebra
1010 (4) Intermediate Algebra
1050 (4) College Algebra & 1060 (3) Trig
1080 (5) Pre-calculus (1080 combines the material from 1050/1060 into a single semester intensive course)
1210 Calculus (currently not required; recommended by a few)
2010 (4) + 2015 (1) Gen. Physics 1+Lab (Prereq: Math 1060) &
2020 (4) + 2025 (1) Gen. Physics 2+Lab
2210 (4) + 2015 (1) Physics for Scientists & Engineers 1+Lab (prereq Math 1210) &
2220 (4) + 2025 (1) Physics for Scientists & Engineers 2+Lab
1210 Principles of Biology (4) fills 1 of 2 general biology requirements
2325 Human Anatomy (4); required by many dental schools, fulfills BIOL lab requirement for most dental schools
2420 Human Physiology (4) DAT prep/ strongly recom by UUSD
2020 Cell Biology (3) fulfills the 1 of 2 general biology requirements
Upper Division Biology optional courses
3080, 4080, 3520, 5030
1210 (4) + 1215 (1); Gen Chem 1+Lab (Prereq: Math 1050)
1220 (4) + 1225 (1); Gen Chem 2+Lab
2310 (4) + 2315 (2); Organic Chem 1+Lab
2320 (4) + 2325 (2); Organic Chem 2+Lab
BIOL/CHEM 3510 (3) + BIOL/CHEM 3515 (3) Biochem I+Lab; required by many dental schools including Roseman; fulfills BIOL lab requirement for most dental schools if you register for course as BIOL.
2 full semesters of English Composition or Writing are required for admission to dental schools.
OPTIONAL COURSE OFFERINGS
UC 1030: Successfully Preparing for Admission to Dental School (1 credit)
This course is designed for students who are exploring a career as a dentist, orthodontist, oral surgeon, or other specialist. The primary focus is to explore the career through panels and presentations by practicing dentists as well as a continuous discussion on how to prepare for admission to dental school. Students will not only learn about resources but also reflect on self within the context of this career.
BIOL 3080: Predental Orientation (4 credit hrs, Prerequisite: Biol 1210)
This is a course in dental terminology, tooth morphology, materials, instrument handling, and an overview of dental school and the dental profession.
BIOL 4080: Dental Observation (1-4 credit hrs, Prerequisite: Biol 3080)
Clinical experience credit for pre-dental students. Arranged by student with local dentist and through Preprofessional Advising Office. Weekly chair-side observation with a dentist in the community, research paper, and lab projects required. This course is not repeatable for credit and will not count towards a biology degree.
ED PSYCH 3861 Career Services Internship (http://careers.utah.edu/internships/credit.htmUH)
The Career Services Internship Program is an opportunity for you to earn upper-division academic credit while learning about a career. This is applicable whether you are shadowing a dentist or working in a dental setting. This course is credit/no credit and is repeatable up to 6 credits.
- This guide is designed for students preparing for dental schools. Some courses may not be required by all professional schools and some schools may require additional courses not on this list. See a PPA advisor for more information.
- In order to take a proper math class, you have to have ACT, SAT or math placement test scores, or successfully pass a prerequisite math courses.
- Physics has 2 options. Consult with both your major advisor and a PPA advisor to choose the right sequence. Physics is not on the DAT, even though a year with labs is still required for dental school admission.
- Taking Anatomy and Biochemistry labs fulfills biology lab requirements. However, there are some schools which do not accept these labs. Consult with a PPA advisor for more information.
- Optional preparatory courses are available for Chemistry and Physics:
- CHEM 1200 (3) Prep for College Chemistry (Usually offered online. Check class schedule for more information)
- CHEM 1208 (1) Intro to Periodic Table (Offered online between semesters for 2 weeks.)
- CHEM 2308 (1) Intro to O Chem (Offered online between semesters for 2 weeks.)
- PHYS 1500 (3) Prep for College Physics (Offered once a year. Check class schedule for more information)