Preparation for medical school involves curricular and extracurricular experiences which demonstrate communication, leadership, community service, research, and familiarity with the medical profession. We advise all our students who want to be physicians to learn about and consider both the MD and DO training options while pursuing the premed path here at the U. Though it is not as familiar in Utah, osteopathic medicine is a well-established, distinctive form of medical training and practice in the United States. While osteopathic medical schools tend to emphasize training students to become primary care physicians, DO doctors practice in the full range of medical specialties alongside their MD-trained colleagues all over the US, including right here at University Hospital. (To learn more about the basics of becoming a DO, visit http://www.osteopathic.org. )
Any major is appropriate for premed students, because every major will help you develop a personal skill set that has the potential to help you become a better doctor. We encourage you to study something you love.
- UGS 1020: Intro to Premed - opens in a new window (1 cr. hr.) Thinking about becoming a physician? This course is designed for students who are exploring a career as a physician. The primary focus is to explore the career through panels and presentations by practicing physicians as well as a continuous discussion on how to prepare for admission to medical school. Students will not only learn about resources but also reflect on the self within the context of this career.
- AAMC: Association of American Medical Colleges Information on the medical school application process and MCAT.
- Alpha Epsilon Delta (AED) Utah Chapter Email: AEDUtah@gmail.com
- American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM) Find about Osteopathic Medicine and get information about DO schools around the nation through this website!
- AspiringDocs.org Find out about medical and premed education.
- Association of Future Female Physicians (AFFP) Utah Chapter
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- DO Doctor Search Find DO doctors near you.
- DO School Search
- Latino Medical Student Association (LMSA) E-mail: LMSAUtah@gmail.com
- Operation Smile, E-mail: email@example.com
- Premed AMSA (American Medical Student Association) E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pre-Professional Health Organization (pre-PHO), E-mail: email@example.com
- Pre-Student Osteopathic Medicine Association (Pre-SOMA) National Website E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tutoring Center: 330 SSB, 801-581-5153
- University of Utah School of Medicine (UUSOM) The University of Utah School of Medicine has three major missions: education, research, and clinical service. The three missions are closely interrelated. Each supports and, in turn, benefits from the others.
- UUSOM Office of Inclusion and Outreach