Release of Information (FERPA)

Student records at The University of Utah are governed by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and its implementing regulations. A student must authorize the University of Utah to release information to any 3rd party, such as a spouse, parent, or even themselves via the telephone or email*.

Note: If you request information to be released to your email account, the information will be sent to your Umail account. 

log into umail

To authorize a Release of Information:

  1. Go to your CIS ( page.
  2. Click Student.
  3. Look for the STUDENT RECORDS box and click on FERPA Release Consent link. The RELEASE FORM will open in a new window. 
  4. Read the Release Form.
  5. Select which campus departments can release the student's information.
  6. Create a PIN to verify access.
  7. Create list of names and email addresses to which University agencies are authorized to share information.
  8. Give your PIN number to the individuals you've authorized to view your records.

Your listed authorized individuals will need to provide an official government-issued ID, such as a valid driver's license or passport, your name, your uNID, and PIN to verify that you have authorized the University of Utah to release your records to them.

If you are a former student and are unable to access the online FERPA Release Form, you may download the Academic Advising Center's Release of Information form, fill it out, and fax it to our office at 801-585-9395.

Please note that our Release Form PDF is only good for Academic Advising Center Offices. You may need to submit FERPA Release Forms with other University of Utah offices or departments depending upon your needs.

Last Updated: 11/14/18