Release of Information (FERPA)
Student records at The University of Utah are governed by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and its implementing regulations. A student must authorize the University of Utah to release information to any 3rd party, such as a spouse or parent.
Note: If you request information to be released to your email account, the information will be sent to your UMail account.
Students with CIS AccessPrint instructions as a PDF
To authorize a Release of Information:
- Go to your CIS (https://cis.utah.edu) page
- Click on the “Student Homepage (Registration, Grades/Transcripts, Tuition)”
- Click on the icon that looks like this:
(Your name and your student number will be under the icon.)
- Click on the FERPA Consent to Release Form link on the left navigation menu. It will be the second from the bottom.
- Read the Release Form.
- Select which campus departments can release the student's information.
- Create a PIN to verify access.
- Create list of names and email addresses to which University agencies are authorized to share information.
- Give your PIN number to the individuals you've authorized to view your records.
Your listed authorized individuals will need to provide an official government-issued ID, such as a valid driver's license or passport, your name, your uNID, and PIN to verify that you have authorized the University of Utah to release your records to them.
Students without CIS Access
If you are a former student and are unable to access the online FERPA Release Form, you may download the Academic Advising Center's Release of Information form, fill it out, and email it to your advisor.
Please note that our Release Form PDF is only good for Academic Advising Center Offices. You may need to submit FERPA Release Forms with other University of Utah offices or departments depending upon your needs.
Prospective students do not need to fill out a FERPA Release Form since they do not have active student records at the University of Utah.