If you are planning to take a leave of absence from your studies at the University of Utah, please read below for important information about course selection and preparing for your departure and return to the University.
Appropriate courses to take before you leave:
- Intellectual Exploration
- American Institutions
- Educational Psychology 2600:(Strategies for College Success)
- Non-sequential major courses
Be careful about taking:
- The first semester of sequenced courses such as languages, math, physics, chemistry, or similar subjects
- Courses which are pre-requisites for courses you plan to take when you return (i.e. math)
- If you do take math or other sequenced courses before you leave, be prepared to review the course extensively before moving forward. Talk to your advisor about options that are appropriate for you.
Things to do before you leave the University:
- Clear any holds that you may have with the University of Utah. You can see if you have any holds by checking the Tasks tile on your Campus Information Services (CIS).
- Obtain your Degree Audit from CIS and meet with your academic advisor (contact the department if you have chosen major, or the Academic Advising Center (801-581-8146) if you have no yet decided on a major).
- Make sure you understand what courses you will need to take for general education and/or your major.
- If you have any “I” (incomplete) grades, complete these courses before you leave. If you have any questions or concerns about your grades, contact the instructor immediately.
- If you want to allow information to be released to individuals about your Financial Aid, Scholarships, Tuition, Registrar Records, Housing Residential Education, or Academic Advising records over the phone, in person, or electronically, please fill out an online consent to release form by logging into Campus Information Services (CIS) and clicking on the Profile tile (the square with a student character and your name), go to “FERPA Consent to release Form” and create a PIN for verification purposes, list the names and email addresses of the individuals who you are granting to have access, and give authorized individuals the verification (PIN) number.
- If you have financial aid or a scholarship, contact the Financial Aid & Scholarships Office (105 SSB, 801-581-6211)
- How to file a leave of absence with the Office of the Registrar.
Things to do upon your return:
- If it has been more than 2 years since you last attended, you may need to take the Accuplacer exam before you will be able to register for a math class.
- It is your responsibility to register for the semester you are returning. If you need to extend your leave of absence, you will need to submit an extension by logging into CIS, click on the “Undergraduate Leave of Absence” and upload new documentation to support the extension request.
- If you do not register for the returning term requested, you may need to readmit through the Admissions Office.
- Obtain your Degree Audit and meet with your advisor to review general education and/or major requirements.
- If you took the first semester of sequenced courses before leaving, consider options for review before moving forward.
- If you had financial aid or a scholarship, contact the Financial Aid & Scholarships Office. (105 SSB, 801-581-6211).