Mandatory Advising Program (MAP)
Second Year Milestone Advising
Because interacting with an academic advisor leads to college success and completion, second year students are REQUIRED to meet with their MAJOR advisor during their second year. This meeting will help you to continue to navigate through your major and ensure you are informed about the great opportunities that are available to you!
To fulfill your MAP Second Year Advising requirement and avoid a registration hold, meet with an academic advisor by March 1, 2021. Use the MAP App to find your academic advisor.
Honors: Students in the Honors College are required to meet with their major advisor OR major exploration advisor AND an honors advisor.
Academic advising is a learning process and partnership between the student and advisor. So that you can participate in this learning experience, take the below steps to prepare for your advising appointment.
1. Run & Review a Degree Audit
Learn more about degree audits
2. Bring Ideas for your Class Schedule
Class Schedule Ideas
- Courses toward your major
- Remaining General Education Requirements
- Bachelor Degree Requirements – ask your advisor if any of these overlap with your major
- Courses toward a minor or certificate
3. Compile a List of your Questions
Here are some ideas of things you can discuss with your advisor:
- How do I declare this major?
- What are some ways I can get involved and gain skills outside of the classroom?
- Are there internships or research opportunities in my department or college?
- What scholarships are available?
- What type of careers does this major lead to?
RESOURCES AND VIDEO GUIDES
Use the below “how-to” guides and resources to review remaining graduation requirements and plan a Spring 2021 class schedule.