You are here:

Getting Credit Where Credit is Due


You worked hard in your transfer classes. Be sure the credits are being used to fill as many U of U requirements as possible!


Send Transcript(s)

  • Send your transcript twice!
    • If some of your transfer credits are missing from your Degree Audit, it is likely that you need to send the Admissions Office a second transcript from your previous school.
    • Most transfer students need to send 2 transcripts to the U of U – one during their final semester at their previous school and then a final one when all grades and degrees from that school are posted.
  • In some cases, credits simply don’t transfer to the U. This can be the case for:
    • Preparatory classes
    • Vocational classes
    • Religion classes from faith-based institutions

If you have questions about credits that did not transfer to the U, the Admissions Office is the place to go for answers – 2nd floor of the Student Services Building.


Office of Admissions Evaluation

  • When a student first applies to the U of U, the Admissions Office evaluates all transfer credits for their potential to meet General Education requirements.
  • Missing Transfer Degrees

    • Having an Associate's degree (Associate of Arts -AA or Associate of Science - AS) can impact the way your transfer credits are used to fill General Education requirements at the U of U.
    • Make sure your degree transferred along with your credits when you were admitted.
    • Your DARS report will show if the U has a record of your previous degree:
      • If it does, one of the first entries on your Degree Audit should read Associates Degree Posted.
    • If you have an AA or AS Degree but don’t see it listed on your Degree Audit, you likely need to send another transcript from your previous school to the U of U Admissions Office.
      • Make sure the degree has been posted on your transcript before sending it.
  • Upper Division Transfer Credits

    • To graduate from the U of U all students must have 40 hours of upper division credits (at the U of U these are courses with catalog numbers 3000-level or higher).
    • The Degree Audit system will recognize some but not all upper division transfer classes.
      • Check your degree audit to see if your transfer work is counting as upper division course work.
    • If you have credits that you think should count but aren’t, contact the Admissions Office.


Pay Enrollment Deposit

  • Once you have been admitted to the U of U and have paid your Enrollment Deposit, you can run a Degree Audit to see which GE requirements the Admissions Office has cleared. Find out how to run a Degree Audit here.


General Education & Bachelor's Degree Requirements Evaluation and Petitions

The Transfer Program (part of Academic Advising Center Advising – the general advising center on the U of U campus) is the place to go with questions and problems relating to using transfer credits to fill U of U General Education and Bachelor's Degree requirements.

Unfilled General Education Requirements

  • If you see General Education requirements on your Degree Audit report that you think should be cleared with your transfer work but aren’t, make an appointment with a Transfer Program advisor. You can make a "Degree Audit Explanation" appointment online or by calling the appointment desk at 801-581-8146.
  • Come prepared to your advising appointment! Advisors will usually need to see:
    • A course description from the catalog of your previous school(s)
    • A syllabus from the class or classes in question

Bachelor's Degree Requirements

  • The U of U has a set of mostly upper-level general requirements called Bachelor's Degree Requirements. 
  • Transfer credits are not evaluated by the Admissions Office to see if they can meet these requirements.
  • The only way to get transfer courses to meet Bachelor's Degree requirements is to meet with a Transfer Program advisor.
  • Be sure to bring a catalog description and syllabus for the class(es) to your advising appointment.


Major Requirement Evaluation

Transfer Credits and Major Requirements

Your Departmental advisor is the person to talk to about getting your transfer work to count for requirements in your major.

Find contact information for your departmental advisor (and get lots of information about your U of U major and minor!) by checking out the website of your major.


Utah State System of Higher Education (USHE) Transfer Students

  • If you transferred from a school in the state of Utah your transfer credits will may be automatically recognized as filling major and minor requirements.
  • Run a Degree Audit and review it with your departmental advisor to see what has been cleared and what you have left to do.

Out-of-State Transfer Students

  • Meet with your departmental advisor right away!
  • Most departments do not have a way to automatically apply out-of-state credits to major requirements.
  • You must meet with your major advisor to review your previous course work and they must update your DARS by hand so that appropriate requirements will be cleared.
  • In some cases, students must work with faculty members in their major to have their course work approved. Your departmental advisor will connect you to the appropriate faculty member.


Transfer Courses Serving as Prerequisites

Transfer Credits and Prerequisites

The U of U is serious about prerequisite checking because we want you to be successful!

To see if a U of U class that you want to take has a prerequisite, read the course description for the class in the General Catalog by clicking on the Subject code for the class in the Class Schedule.

Departments Rule!

  • Each U of U department has its own policies and processes for prerequisite checking.
  • Check with the department offering the class you want to take to find out what you need to do to have your transfer class(es) count as a prerequisite.

Run a Degree Audit

  • In most cases a transfer class must be posted on your U of U record to count as a prerequisite.
  • Run a Degree Audit to see if a class is posted.

Will it count?

Several things determine if a class can count as a prerequisite:

  • The grade you received in the class
  • How long ago you took the class (prerequisites can expire)
  • The content and scope of the class –a syllabus from the course may be needed to determine if it meets prerequisite criteria

Where did you take the class?

  • Classes taken at schools within the state of Utah may be automatically recognized by the prerequisite checking system at the U.
  • Classes from out-of-state institutions will not usually be automatically recognized as prerequisites, so students with these credits will need to contact the department offering the class to see if a class meets prerequisite requirements.

Permission Codes

  • Many departments enforce prerequisites with the use of permission codes. These are numbers that allow a student to take a class that has an enforced prerequisite.
  • Permission codes are given by the department offering the class.
    • In some cases, the instructor for the class gives the code.
    • At other times, the advisor or main departmental office may provide permission codes.
    • Many departments have permission code request forms on their websites.
  • At registration time permission codes are entered into the registration system along with the Class Number.
  • Many departments have permission code request forms on their websites.  Click here for links to departmental permission codes request sites.

Test Scores at Prerequisites

  • ACT, SAT, AP and other standardized test scores can sometimes be used to fill prerequisite requirements. These scores usually do not transfer to the U with a student’s transcript. They must be sent directly to the U of U Admissions Office from the agency awarding the credits.

Are you really ready for that next class?

Just because you can use your transfer work as a prerequisite does not necessarily mean that you should.

  • Did you master the material in the prerequisite class well enough to move on?
  • Do you remember the course material well enough to be successful in the next class?

Transfer Credit and Math Prerequisites

There is no other subject where previous successful completion of prerequisites is more important than in Math.  The U of U Math Department wants students to be successful in their math classes, so they have a rigorous prerequisite checking system so students are truly prepared to be successful in their next math class.

Math Prerequisite Facts

  • In most cases, a grade of “C” or higher is required for a class to count as a prerequisite in Math.
  • Unless your math class is in progress or so recently taken that there has not been time to have the credits posted to your DARS report, completed credits must be posted on your U of U record before they can be evaluated as a prerequisite for a math class. Run a DARS report to see if your class is posted.
  • In many cases a transfer student will need a permission code to register for their next math class at the U. To get a permission code, go to the Math Department website and fill out the Permission Code Request Form found there.

Should You Move On?

If it has been some time since you took the prerequisite class, is it wise to jump right into the next math class? Consider the following options:

  • Repeat the prerequisite class at the U so you can be sure to have a solid foundation
  • Review the online Lecture Videos on the Math Department website to refresh your knowledge. 
  • Sign up for a Math Boot Camp. These are 1-week review workshops offered right before the start of each semester.
  • Take an Accuplacer Placement test at the Testing Center to verify your current math level. 

 Transer Math Credits from a Utah School

  • After your first semester at the U, math classes from Utah schools are automatically recognized by the prerequisite checking system.
  • You will need to request a permission code if you want to register for a math class your first semester at the U.

Out-of-State Transfer Math Credits

Out-of-state math credits will usually not be recognized automatically as a math prerequisite.

  • Once your transfer credit is posted on your U record, you will need to request a permission code to register for your next math class.
  • You may need to provide a course description and/or a syllabus.

 In-Progress Math Classes

  • It is possible to use classes that you are in the process of completing at your previous school as prerequisites for a U of U math class.
  • Fill out the Permission Code Request Form on the math website and explain that your class is still in progress or that you are waiting for a grade to be posted.
  • You will need to provide an unofficial transcript.
  • You will be given a permission code and can register for your desired class.
  • Once your grade is posted for the prerequisite class, you must provide a copy of your transcript with the grade to the Math Department or you will be dropped from your class.
  • Students dropped from a class will not be allowed to re-register.

Test Credits and Math Prerequisites

ACT/SAT/AP test scores can be used for math placement:

  • These scores expire after 2 years.
  • ACT/SAT/AP scores will not transfer to the U as part of your transcript.
  • Accuplacer Math Placement scores from other institutions will also not transfer as part of your transcript.
  • You may still be able to use these test scores for prerequisite purposes even if they are not posted on your U record, but you must request a permission code.  Be prepared to provide official test scores to the Math Department via the permission code request process.
Last Updated: 3/28/19